Tuesday, July 2, 2013

men's bathrooms and the usual


I believe in over-dressing. Wearing heels to grocery store because that's just the kind of person I want to be today.

In staying up much later than I should to finish that chapter...and then mayber another. How have I not discovered reading in bed before now? Reading at night is certainly not a new thing, but to read under fluffy white bed covers, dim lamp illuminating my side of the bed, curled up husband beside me? This is real life grown up stuff, the stuff married people do in movies and on sitcoms, and I like it. A lot.

In eating intentionally; knowing what I'm putting into my body and asking myself why. Someone once said that food can be either the best medicine or the slowest poison, and that thought has never left my mind.

In absolutely abusing my library card privileges.

In lipstick, hallelujah.

In the importance of a morning ritual. And three o'clock tea, complete with tea cookies.
 
In using the men's room at Starbucks when the homegirl in the lady's room is taking forever. This must be done as quickly and discreetly as possible, of course.
 
In using "homegirl" to refer to any female whose name I do not know and/or anyone who is particularly annoying me at any given time.
 
In the Loch Ness Monster.

In sitting by the pool for as long as I want because the dishes will always be there.

In smiling at strangers when they do something embarassing like trip on a step. I can only hope they would do the same for me.

In marriage.

In the power of story.

In private dance parties in store aisles when my favorite song comes on.

In carrying heavy boxes by myself. By all means, please be a gentleman. Open the door, pull out my chair, walk on the traffic side of the sidewalk. But, darn it, let me carry a box. Part of being a gentleman is letting a girl feel tough.
 
In using the self timer on my camera in public, even if it generates stares from strangers and an eye roll from my husband.
 
In hanging out all alone in crowded coffee shops, eavesdropping and watching, table covered in more books than I could ever read in that one sitting. This, to me, is worth the dollar and ninety-five cents for a cup of hot water and lousy tea bag.
 
 
 









6 comments:

  1. I love this :) You are so awesome girl! I have to work on the last two--I'm always so embarrassed to take photos in public...or be in restaurants alone haha. Love that you used the men's bathroom, that's too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh i love this! please write a book or something! You are such an incredible writer!

    xoxo kerri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! Your attitude in life is amazing

    ReplyDelete
  4. okay, for real. please write a book...lots of them. i'll read them all :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Private dance parties?? why yes of course!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I reply to comments via email, so make sure you're not a no-reply blogger! xo

 
T I C K L E D Y E L L O W © 2013.

Design by The Blog Boat