Wednesday, October 2, 2013

embrace



Dear You,

Today is a challenge to embrace the day.

To embrace the mess on the kitchen counter and see it as a symbol of life being lived in all its messy, human glory.

To embrace those closest to you, whose laugh and favorite songs you've known by heart for as long as you can remember.

Embrace the truth that you are so loved today, sitting there in the pink pajama pants you've worn every night this week, sleep still crumbly in your eyes, to-do list already full with things you've been putting off all week.

Embrace your limitations. They are not a hindrance, but rather a gift. You can't write poetry? Fine, pour your heart into journal entries. You'll never be as good a decorator as that other girl? Good. Get over it and focus on your baking ability. Accept what your gifts are and are not.

Embrace your flaws, that blemish on your chin that never seems to go away, your habit of sharing too much with strangers, the fact that you will probably never enjoy cooking. Don't take them so seriously, at least not today. Laugh at them, make fun of them. That's what they're there for, anyway.

Embrace your home. Cozy up in your favorite chair, light a cinnamony fall candle, read that magazine that's been on your coffee table for weeks now.

Embrace the chores and errands and routine. Give an extra smile to the cashier, twirl around a little when no one is looking as you scoot between store aisles.

 Embrace whatever song the day is humming. Maybe it's a slow song, a piercing piano solo that hangs between grey clouds and endless cups of chamomile. Maybe today is more of a Motown song or a saucy Latin number...in that case, I suggest you dance along with it. Or at least snap your fingers.


Love,

H



12 comments:

  1. Thanks, I needed that encouragement today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, I love your blog! It's great. I just found it yesterday, but I love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously, love. Thanks for the reminder today, Heather :) "The habit of sharing too much with strangers."...made me laugh. I find myself doing that. What's this life for if not to share?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This all just swept me up into another world – then brought me back down again with encouragement sitting in my heart. I love this. Especially the twirling in the store aisles... my favourite :).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this! So, so glad to be participating in The Nester's 31-Days with you and so many wonderfully creative women!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this. Such an encouraging letter. Put a smile on my face. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are amazing. Love love love this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had a typo in my previous comment... Which goes to show that I probably needed your post today more than ever! I am going to print out your beautiful poem/letter and post it on my bathroom mirror! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is awesome. And just what I needed this morning :) Definitely going to remember these things today. Your words bring courage and joy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Howdy, I believe your blog could be having browser compatibility problems.

    Whenever I look at your blog in Safari, it looks fine however, when opening in I.E., it's got some overlapping issues.
    I simply wanted to provide you with a quick heads up!
    Besides that, wonderful website!

    Feel free to visit my blog: GHD Australia

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I reply to comments via email, so make sure you're not a no-reply blogger! xo

 
T I C K L E D Y E L L O W © 2013.

Design by The Blog Boat