Wednesday, February 20, 2013

on some good reads


I'd totally recommend any of these, too. FYI.

I love a good book. I like to read them in long, luxurious sittings with a pot of loose-leaf tea. I like to devour bits and paragraphs in those brief "in-between" moments. I would eat books for breakfast if I could. And I have a feeling many of you are the same way.

I have shelves and shelves full of favorites, most of which you've probably heard of or fallen in love with yourself. But here's a few favorites that you may not have read, all of which I highly suggest:


I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith (who also, interestingly enough, wrote 101 Dalmations.)
In a word, this book is simply delightful. The same way lemon meringue and musicals are delightful. It's everything you (or atleast, I) would want in a book: a witty narrator, lines and passages so funny you just have to underline them, a Jane Austen-esque setting. You'll want to read this book on a window seat with wool socks and a cup of Earl Grey.


The Pastor by Eugene Peterson 
Hands down, my all-time favorite memoir (and I am a memoir junkie.) Even if you are not a pastor or, heck, even a Christian, his thoughtful, yet incredibly down-to-earth prose is worth getting lost in for hours at a time.


The Robe by Lloyd Douglas
A classic you simply have to read at least once. It tells the story of the Roman soldier who won Jesus' robe after aiding in his crucifixion. One of those books your husband will want to read when you're finished. (Along those lines, I would also recommend Ben-Hur, but only if you're into that sort of thing.)


Veneer: Living Deeply in a Surface Society by Timothy Willard and Jason Locy
Veneer cuts to the chase. It exposes our bent toward superficiality through consumerism and social media, but then gently draws you back to the God who longs for our total surrender. All while being totally readable. Every Christian under forty should have this on their bookshelf.



Happy reading!

9 comments:

  1. Flannery O'Conner is the BEST!

    And I just finished Bird by Bird...it made me want to spend my whole life doing nothing but writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to have to check these out! Reading is seriously my favorite. When I have a whole day to myself, I love sitting down and reading an entire book. It's the greatest feeling...except when you finish and then miss your fictional BFFs you've spent all day with. ;)
    P.S. LOVE the story of Ben-Hur.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love The Robe! I may need to check out a few others!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to have to check these out! I love reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 'I owould eat books for breakfast if I could' hahahaha...you just made me laugh...I know exactly what you mean =)

    LOOOOOVED Ben-Hur...it was a huge book and I devoured it =) Also I remember reading I Capture the Castle a long time ago...I may have to re-read that one =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh! I love to read, too!!! I haven't read any of these but am certainly going to go look them up!! Did you take the picture, too? Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These all look like such lovely books! I've been wanting to read Shauna Niequist's books for a long time and I just might have to do that once I graduate! Thanks for all of the recommendations! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been wanting to read the Paster...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah! I would pay you to read books just so I can read your well thought out reviews of them! ;) This is a fabulous list.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I reply to comments via email, so make sure you're not a no-reply blogger! xo

 
T I C K L E D Y E L L O W © 2013.

Design by The Blog Boat