Wednesday, March 27, 2013

on finding our place



We spent the past weekend in the quaint little town of Apex, NC. Trevor and I were visiting a church, interviewing to be their worship pastor. (To be clear, Trevor was the one interviewing. Homegirl can't carry a tune in a bucket.)

Everything about the weekend was perfect. The church was incredible, the people were great, and the town was something out of a fairytale. We both instantly fell in love with it. While Trevor was in worship practice Saturday night, I thought I'd drive around town. (Technically, I was heading back to the hotel but I got lost and ended up downtown, but you know how it is. I'm not known for my sense of direction.) I parked the car, walked into a charming little coffee shop across the street and immediately claimed the little table by the window.

I let the twinkling lights in the window and the laughter in the shop distract me from my Pat Conroy book. I was entertained just sipping my green tea and watching the world of Apex, North Carolina pass through this tiny coffee shop.

The place was alive; fragrant with life and community and friendship. An older couple strolled in to meet with another couple, explaining with waving hands that they had just sold their house. A younger couple made their way inside, murmuring softly to each other as they balanced their coffee and their tiny newborn baby. College aged girls laughed on the couch for hours.

This, I thought, is the place I've been waiting for. A quaint little town where I can see myself having friends over for dinner on Saturday nights, where Trevor and I could spend our Sunday afternoons riding bikes through town before stopping for a latte. I could see myself writing one day, at this very spot by the window, a book about all the fascinating people I would meet here. This is the place where I want to one day rub my hand over a baby bump and call my mom when I feel its first flurry of life.

Sitting there alone in that cafe, I knew that this was what God had been preparing me for. The town, the church...they had our names written all over it.

Sunday morning was when Trevor would be leading worship for both of their services, the moment of truth. I was eager to cheer him on after weeks of watching him practice and prepare. I even managed to roll out of bed at six in the morning, which is no small feat.

He had someone pick him up at the hotel, and I was to drive over at the church before the first service began. As I was walking out of the hotel, I reached into my purse to grab my keys, but they were gone. Frantically pulling everything out of my suitcase and searching the hotel room from top to bottom, I finally realized that Trevor had my car keys.

I texted and called him a million times but it was too late. He was already onstage.

I managed not to burst into tears, but did come close to sweating through my silk shirt. What a day to wear organic deodorant. The hotel staff just kind of stared at me as I paced back and forth, sucking in air like I was in labor. They're not going to hire him now. They probably hate me. Trevor doesn't know where I am. It's all over!

After an hour, I realized there was nothing I could do but sit there and pray. Finally, just before the second service, the pastor's wife came and rescued me, and we made it in time to hear two of the songs.

And, long story short, they offered Trevor the job. You better believe we cranked up the music in our living room and did some booty dancing as soon as we got the call. We don't have an exact moving date, as there is still so much to figure out (jobs! apartment! finding the library!) Because finding the library is one of my top priorities. 

Thank you SO much for all your prayers and encouragement! It means more to me than you know. In the meantime, I'll be packing boxes and googling, "jobs involving books in Apex".





14 comments:

  1. Wow, how exciting, Heather!! Apex sounds a lot like my town...small towns are wonderful places to live! If it's books you like, then perhaps you should consider opening a book store. It's something every small town needs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yayyy! So happy for you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How amazing!
    So excited for ya'll! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful for you! I've never been to NC but I hear it's such a quaint state!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i just LOVE your writing! and i squealed and got goosebumps reading this! I'm so excited for y'all!! ps. did you design your blog?! I love it's look, trying to find someone to help me revamp mine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic news! I`m so happy you found a place where you can see yourselves being so fulfilled and happy :) Woohoo!!

    Follow me: Bloglovin / Facebook / Twitter / Pinterest
    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hooray! I'm so excited for y'all! Can't wait to hear more stories about this enchanting little town :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am especially excited for you all because I know what a journey it has been! I will also have you know that I Googled where Apex is. When I road trip to Virginia in the coming months, I just might have to make a little stop ;).

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so happy for you! This is such an exciting time, finding the place you believe God has guided you to :) It sounds like the community there is rich in love and learning. I'm sure you guys will impact it in a special way. So glad I found your blog, girl!

    grace & love,
    kristyn
    poppy: the blog
    http://www.poppyeventsblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hurrah! Happy for you and the hubby. Sounds like a fun adventure. :)

    And I'm wondering if any day is a good day for organic deodorant. I'm on my second brand, and it's not going too well. But I'm pressing on.

    Hope you find a great place to live, and great jobs, and a great library.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations! North Carolina is beautiful. So thankful to meet another worship leader's wife. I will be praying as you transition. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay, yay, yay! Congrats on all of the exciting news! It sounds like a cute place to call home. And I definitely agree with you on the library part. I've definitely taken them for granted in the past, but they're a must for me now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad you found a place you love!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is so awesome!!
    Congratulations!! Can't wait to follow your journey in Apex, NC!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I reply to comments via email, so make sure you're not a no-reply blogger! xo

 
T I C K L E D Y E L L O W © 2013.

Design by The Blog Boat